Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Water the Camels

Hello blogosphere!
I help out with the children's ministry at my church, and this week we learned about Abraham sending his servant to get a wife for his son Isaac. Then I opened my Bible up and lo and behold, the chapter (Genesis 24) I was reading was that same story. Of course, teaching small children the story is a lot different then teaching a 22 year old child in myself. Ok, maybe not a lot different.

Anyway, the story goes that Abraham asks one of his servants to go to his homeland and get a wife for his son Isaac. This was the norm for marriages at the time. I looked at this passage with a different approach. It wasn't about Abraham or Isaac or Rebekah, but rather the response of the servant Eliezer, and also Laban and Bethuel (Rebekah's family). If you can, check out the chapter, but specifically look into verses 12-14, 21, 50 and 52. Their understanding of what it means to do God's work is incredible and incredibly easy. Here it is:
1. Pray
2. Do
3. Thank

I love verse 21 where Eliezer watches in silence, wondering if the Lord answered his prayer. He saw that God did and he immediately thanked God and worshiped him. His response was praise and thanksgiving.
It made me think... How many times when God tells me to do something, my response ends in silence wondering if it truly was God instead of trusting His work and thanking him for using me?

No comments:

Post a Comment