Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tozer Time!

So I’ve been reading a new devotional that my mentor Don Meckley got me called Tozer on Christian Leadership by A.W. Tozer. Aiden Wilson Tozer was born in 1897, yet his writings are like he was writing specifically to me in my culture today. I believe that is because his content is based completely on Scripture, which, as we may or may not know, transcends time.

I started reading April 1st, and the purpose of this post is really to just share what I’ve learned. I will write my learnings (Is that a word? Probably not because Microsoft Word red-squiggly lined it) in a numbered format (which is my favorite).

1)True Prayer cannot be imitated nor can it be learned from someone else. Almost everything associated with ministry can be learned with some intelligent application, but not prayer.
b) No one should stand before an audience who has not first stood before God. Stay with God in private longer than you stay with people in public.
XII) The Christian’s heart must be soaked in prayer before the true spiritual fruits begin to grow.
4 ½) Written 100 years ago, Tozer says that we are “the busiest bunch of eager beavers ever seen in the religious world. In our busyness, we tend to develop a rash of amateurism, causing our lights to stay burning, but not brighter.
11z) While Tozer is stimulating me, my real desire is to hear from God. How often do I say “Here I am, God. Begin to teach me!”

I highly recommend this devotional. It’s a page a day, which is sweet, because I'm not a morning person, but I try to put God first everyday.

1 comment:

  1. bill, i love your blog. u are budding into a man..a godly man...a godly man who has extreme difficulty in numbering bullets, but thats what makes u so awesome

    ReplyDelete