Thursday, September 13, 2012

Raw, Real, and Relevant


That’s life, isn’t it?
  • It’s Raw. Tender and sensitive.
  • It’s Real. Actual and honest.
  • It’s Relevant. Messy and important.
The more I realize that, the more it shapes how we do ministry at Hillsboro. The more I invite that R3 attitude and create that R3 environment, the more I feel the weight of sin and brokenness in our world today. At the same time, as I take my eyes off of the wilderness of this life and put them back on the Cross, I know Christ has defeated all those issues and problems permanently.

I think teenagers today can get very tired of “canned” and “polished” messages at church and youth group (I’m not advocating winging it or preparing last minute, but a different type of preparing. I’ll talk more on this in a later post).  They want to see struggle. They want to see pain. They want to know they are not alone in whatever it is they are going through. So we opened our Wednesday nights to the questions that are really on their hearts. And I wanted to share a few with you, to open your eyes as mine have been opened, just what raw, real, and relevant questions teenagers today are going through. I ask that you pray for this generation of teenagers daily, because, yes, times are different today than when you or I were a teenager, but the pain and the hurt and the struggles are very , very similar.

Here’s a few of their questions:
  • How do you overcome very challenging temptations? I know getting into the Bible/trusting in God helps, but sometimes I still can’t overcome it.
  • What does it look like to be fearful of God?
  • How should someone deal with jealousy in a godly way?
  • Why is the resurrection important?
  • How can I let go of worldly things?
  • Where do I begin when telling a friend about God?
  • How do I deal with an in-your-face atheist?
  • Is there an unforgiveable sin?
  • What is the Holy Spirit?

Those are just a few. As I look over the list of questions I received, the overwhelming majority start with “How” or address a doctrinal issue. How do I lead my friends to Christ? How do I live above reproach? How can I overcome sin and temptation? What is the resurrection? What is the trinity? What is the Holy Spirit?

Church: Our students need your wisdom, teaching, and life experience more today than ever before. How can you help answer these raw, real, and relevant questions, based on the grace and truth that God has given you?

No comments:

Post a Comment